So - here we are again........

As we race through January 2022 - I am now reflecting on 2021 - which certainly did not go to plan. 

We started with all the positivity we could find - but in total lock down since Boxing day - this was not part of the plan! I was lonely - and alone - but found a few regular swim buddies who kept me going throughout.  Any holidays/trips any of us had booked were all cancelled. all the intro pools were closed - so we just braved the sea all the way through - along the zillions of others who had all taken to the sea since Covid 19 found its way over here, changing our lives forever it would appear.

My retirement 6th decade solo Channel swim was 'rolled over' and booked in for July 2021 - the year started very cold, the water took months to warm up - but - we persevered - we trained - we got the 6 hour qualifing swim done in 12/13c at the end of May  - it wasn't pretty but, thanks to Lady Fay in the kayak, and a few swim buddies WE NAILED IT!

My Crew, Emma & Cliff travelled with/met me in Dover - we stayed in Darling Cottage which was idyllic and just what we needed. We ate well despite the cold and horrid weather; and then the swim was shelved due to the inclement weather. So we all came back/....despondent but having 'been there many times before' we knew what we had to do... JUST KEEP SWIMMING!

We came home to reflect - and continue training. Did a lovely hot 6 hour swim later in July which was just lovely - and then carried on ticking over.. and over - throughout the summer

In August, We asked the Jersey Lifeboat to help me sprinkle most of Charlie into ST Catherine's bay - aided and abetted by Bobby Minty and Marcus Calvani (my 2 oldest Godsons) and toasted him with a beer and Guinness too!

All the while. we as a Family, were just watching and waiting for our dear niece Jessie to leave us - she was given a terminal secondary lung cancer diagnosis the day after my Charlie passed away in July 2020.

It was a tough summer, emotionally and physically. Jessie was in hospital and then transferred to the wonderful Jersey Hospice and be under their care...

Then - I got another call from Eddie to go over again - and swim 14/16 September - guaranteed apparently.. so we flew over and met Emma there - stayed with the lovely Margaret Philpott - which was great fun and took the pressure off us when the swim didn't happen - again. The reasons will never be fully understood (will leave it at that) but we came home and I booked a  last minute Round Island Swim - which we did with the JLDSC Sea Swimmer 2, Jenny and John at the helm and Cliff looking after and feeding me - it was a great day out  - and more of Charlie was sprinkled over his favourite corners of the Island!

I then disappeared off to France to our little holiday home in Lyvet (near Dinan) and we (Charlie Dog and I) had a wonderful month over there. I worked out daily and walked and walked - the weather, food and friends we made there - was wonderful. Just what the Dr ordered.

Came home for a month in Jersey; Jessie still with us too at Hospice - before heading off to Gran Canaria for 2 weeks. This was always going to be hard as my first time without Charlie - this was our timeshare holiday since 1995..

The weather was wonderful as always, and Terry and Jean our lifelong friends met me there and then sent their 2nd week with me which was lovely and a blessing as we were together when I got the call on Dec 3 to say that she had finally succumbed to this awful disease. Such tragic but inevitable news ...she is now at peace.

Terry and Jean left on 10th I came home quietly on 13th - Jessie's quiet life celebration took place on 22 Dec and then we had a big Family Christmas day (26 of us)  Jessie had insisted on that and it was a great day.

'Betwixmas and New Year' were fairly quiet while we were all still readjusting....and then i got my new dates.. I am booked in for my Channel Swim 4 - 9 August 2022..

2022 - has to be better for us all.... Surely?

I have a positive focus now - so i just need to get back into the Gym, into my fitness routine and

restart swimming....once  i have recovered from my abscess just treated today....Ouch and YUK!!!

So - watch this space.....Onwards and upwards now..the only way is UP!








Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Onwards and Upwards - time to start anew and afresh.....